Friday, December 15, 2006

How NOT to Build a Website

At the time that I felt I needed my first website I knew basically nothing about html or css. And I was deep in the throes of learning VB6 so I wasn’t about to try to tackle html too.

But I needed a site, so I knew that I needed a tool that would give me WYSIWYG capability – and at low cost. I wasn’t (and still am not) much into spending loads of money on my “hobbies”. I found a little shareware tool for about $29 that did a few pretty cool things – and allowed me to throw a site up in a couple of weeks. It was very basic but at least I had a web presence!

So that sufficed for the next year or two. Then I needed more sophistication and decided to pop for Dreamweaver 8. DW brought a lot more functionality, but at a price – significantly more complexity. Not knowing html, I never even looked at the “code” window. I always worked in the “display” window. Still WYSIWYG dependent, you see.

After I got through the fairly steep learning curve, helped tremendously by a book called Dreamweaver 8: The Missing Manual I was pretty comfortable knocking out an update to my sites over the weekend.

But then a funny thing happened. Well, let’s save that one for the next post.


Technorati Profile

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home