Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Run for the Roses

Grew up in Louisville, Kentucky. No, not Louie-ville. Lou-u-vul.

Haven't lived there since 1973. Yeah, I'm pretty old. At least you'll think that if you're under 30. If you're not, I'm in my prime, Baby! Fifty-three is where it's happenin', as far as I'm concerned. I make good money, healthy as hell, have a phenomenal Sweetie, and love life. Experience meets resources. Wow.

If you're under 30 and think it's all over when you're 50 - man, you're gonna be surprised. Life STARTS at middle age. Please don't get me wrong. Don't mean to sound full of myself. Its just that by my age, you've had a good while to amass resources - and you definitely know who you are. Including your failings. But you learn to accept them. I, for instance, know that I'm a hopeless introvert. If my Sweetie leaves my side for 10 minutes at a party, I'm sweatin'. I consistently say things that fall in the category of "did I say that, or just think it?". Not a good trait for a banking executive...

But I digress.

Having grown up in Lou-u-vul, the Kentucky Derby has a special place in my heart. So when I decided to create a thoroughbred racing simulation I knew the venue HAD to be Churchill Downs - Home of the Kentucky Derby.

The birth of "Run for the Roses".

Five years, and lots of learnings later, RFTR was released. Did I make a mint? Uh, no. Have I sold quite a few? Absolutely. I offer every buyer a 90 day money-back guarantee. I haven't had to refund the first dollar.

Is the program perfect? Hardly. But when people email me with an issue, I work diligently to resolve the issue. Apparently I've done a pretty good job at resolving issues. And at making RFTR better as time goes by.

Today, too often, software is released with an absolute expectation that a patch will be coming out in a few weeks - because the initial release is buggy as hell.

Whatever happended to putting out a quality product, fully disclosing any deficiencies, if necessary, and standing behind your work? Isn't that how to do business?

I just "upgraded" the software tool I use to manage my finances to the 2007 version, and I have had NOTHING but problems. I don't have the patience to tell you what a really LOUSY piece of work I've been subjected to - and from a major company. There doesn't seem to be any pride in authorship anymore...

But WE can change that - by writing better programs, and by demanding better quality.

Join me, please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home